Like most people, Nate and I love food. Living in Idaho, we had a serious lack of diversity in our eating out choices. While Rexburg has plenty of fast food, it seriously lacks in sit-down restaurants. Since moving to Denver, we have realized this town is a Mecca for food aficionados. Seriously, I don't think anyone here knows how to cook- they must all go out to eat, because there are a ton of restaurants. The selections are huge too- there are not only your chain restaurants like Applebees and Olive Garden, there are plenty of original places to go and enjoy a good meal. Since there are so many choices, it would be a shame not to give our taste buds the experience of enjoying food that you can't just get in any city. Nate and I try not to go out to eat too much since it is expensive- but we figure we should enjoy the opportunity while we don't have any kids to worry about or find a babysitter for. While we have this luxury as well as the luxury of living in a place with an insane selection of places to eat, Nate and I made a pact. We promised ourselves that when we go out to eat, we will choose a restaurant that we have not been to before UNLESS it is fast food- which we will try to avoid (there isn't much of that around here anywhere. I was genuinely surprised)- or unless we are with a group of people who insist on going to a chain, or unless there is a serious craving going on. We even shook on it, so it's official. No more Red Robin or Chili's for us- we have a lot of other places to chow down at. Since making this pact, Nate and I decided to try a place we heard about on the Food Network. We are fans of the show Man vs. Food, and in the Denver challenge, the guy went to this place called Jack-n-Grill where they have a 7 lb breakfast burrito. Always ready for an adventure, we decided to check it out. If one person can finish the burrito in 1 sitting, they get their picture on the wall and the burrito is on the house. We were in no way ready for that challenge, but we wondered if we could finish it between the two of us. This baby was filled with a pound of ham, 8 eggs, a bunch of potatoes, a bunch of green chilis, wrapped in tortillas and covered in cheese and green chile sauce. I knew it would be big, but I was not prepared for the behemoth that was brought to our table.



Holy cow that baby was HUGE!!! It was the size of Nate's forearm, about 6 inches across and 6 inches deep. It was amazing. Of course I didn't have my camera with me, so I had to depend on the camera from my phone. Sorry the pics aren't that great. We started out at a pretty good pace, but once we hit the middle of the burrito, we began to hit the wall.

The good thing about this particular burrito is that not only was it a huge quantity, but it was also a good quality burrito. It was actually delicious! I enjoyed every bite, until my gag reflex told me if I ingested one more bite I would be tasting it all over again. Of course Nate ate most of the burrito- this boy once ate 4 lbs of steak! But alas, the burrito was too big tor the two of us, and we had to call it quits.

We left with our bellies full to the brim, a little food drunk, and about 2 lbs of leftovers. I know what Nate's having for lunch this week! It was a really good time, and we are definitely going there again when any of our friends ever decide to come visit us!
No comments:
Post a Comment